*Not an actual patient
- Patient comes in for annual exam
- Stephanie is an elementary school principal
- Divorced, with 1 child in college
- Smokes on occasion (socially) and goes out for drinks once a week
- Sedentary, states she does not have time to exercise
- Family history of cardiovascular disease; her father died at age 67 from a myocardial infarction
- Diagnosed last year with type 2 diabetes
- Started metformin at diabetes diagnosis
- Prefers natural remedies; for example, she uses comfrey cream for her occasional back pain
Stephanie asks, "What else can I do for my heart? Sometimes I worry I’m not doing enough"
For the patient with heart health concerns, consider Ubiquinol
- Continue to monitor diabetes and treat appropriately
- Try to quit smoking
- Introduce regular, light exercise
- Reevaluate diet and choose healthy foods
- Consider Ubiquinol to support optimal heart health1-3
Ubiquinol plays a role in heart health through multiple mechanisms
- Ubiquinol helps to protect against lipid peroxidation4-6
- Ubiquinol is more effective than lipid-soluble vitamin E in protecting against lipid peroxidation7,8
- Ubiquinol can improve markers associated with heart health, including reduction of GGT (gamma-glutamyltransferase), a marker of oxidative health9-12
- Ubiquinol acts as an antioxidant and provides cellular defense against oxidative damage7,13
- Read more about how Ubiquinol supports optimal heart health.
Stephanie: "Can't I just get Ubiquinol through what I eat?"
A typical daily serving of Ubiquinol is 100 milligrams
- Ubiquinol is found in some foods (cabbage, broccoli, oysters, liver, avocados, oranges), but only in very small amounts14
- For example, you would have to eat 60 avocados to get the same amount of Ubiquinol in one 100 mg Kaneka Ubiquinol capsule15
- Langsjoen PH, Langsjoen AM. Supplemental ubiquinol in patients with advanced congestive heart failure. BioFactors. 2008;32(1-4):119-128.
- Langsjoen PH, Langsjoen AM. Supplemental ubiquinol in congestive heart failure—3 year experience. Presented at: 6th International CoQ10 Association Conference; May 29, 2010; Brussels, Belgium.
- Schmelzer C, Niklowitz P, Okun JG, et al. Ubiquinol-induced gene expression signatures are translated into altered parameters of erythropoiesis and reduced low density lipoprotein cholesterol levels in humans. IUBMB Life. 2011;63(1):42-48.
- Mohr D, Bowry VW, Stocker R. Dietary supplementation with coenzyme Q10 results in increased levels of ubiquinol-10 within circulating lipoproteins and increased resistance of human low-density lipoprotein to the initiation of lipid peroxidation. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1992;1126(3):247-254.
- Stocker R, Bowry VW, Frei B. Ubiquinol-10 protects human low density lipoprotein more efficiently against lipid peroxidation than does alpha-tocopherol. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1991;88(5):1646-1650.
- Alleva R, Tomasetti M, Bompadre S, Littarru GP. Oxidation of LDL and their subfractions: kinetic aspects and CoQ10 content. Mol Aspects Med. 1997;Suppl 18:S105-S112.
- Ernster L, Forsmark-Andrée P. Ubiquinol: an endogenous antioxidant in aerobic organisms. Clin Investig. 1993;71(suppl 8):S60-S65.
- Frei B, Kim MC, Ames BN. Ubiquinol-10 is an effective lipid-soluble antioxidant at physiological concentrations. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1990;87(12):4879-4883.
- Dhingra R, Gona P, Wang T, et al. Serum γ-glutamyl transferase and risk of heart failure in the community. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2010;30(9):1855-1860.
- Onur S, Niklowitz P, Jacobs G, et al. Ubiquinol reduces gamma glutamyltransferase as a marker of oxidative stress in humans. BMC Res Notes. 2014;7:427.
- Onur S, Niklowitz P, Jacobs G, et al. Association between serum level of ubiquinol and NT-proBNP, a marker for chronic heart failure, in healthy elderly subjects. BioFactors. 2015;41(1):35-43.
- Fischer A, Onur S, Niklowitz P, et al. Coenzyme Q10 redox state predicts the concentration of c-reactive protein in a large caucasian cohort. BioFactors. 2016;42(3):268-276.
- Forsmark-Andrée P, Ernster L. Evidence for a protective effect of endogenous ubiquinol against oxidative damage to mitochondrial protein and DNA during lipid peroxidation. Mol Aspects Med. 1994;15(suppl 1):S73-S81.
- Kubo H, Fujii K, Kawabe T, et al. Food content of ubiuqinol-10 and ubiquinone-10 in the Japanese diet. J Food Comp Anal. 2008;21(3):199-210.
- Data on file. Kaneka North America LLC.
Be a heart health INSIDER.
Sign up to receive news, updates and special offers on heart health and Ubiquinol.
Request patient samples of Ubiquinol.
Getting samples is easy—just fill out our online form.